Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Mascara


My friend Jen emailed me last night that she is in need of a mascara and needs some direction, so here are my thoughts; my most favorite is Chanel Inimitable Mascara Multi-Dimensional. Numero uno for many reasons, but especially for its rubber wand, which separates and lengthens my lashes to perfection. It is non clumping and very long lasting, which makes it well worth its asking price of $27.50. I also really enjoy Chanel's Lash Enhancing Base, which helps to strengthen lashes and extend wear. The base is about $24. I usually go to Barneys for Chanel products, but if I am purchasing a product (or two) on line, I generally visit neimanmarcus.com.

Another I really enjoy is Yves Saint Laurent's Everlong Lengthening Mascara (most often available wherever Chanel is and for about the same price). This mascara also has a rubber wand and includes a lash growth booster meant to encourage the healthiest of lashes. This mascara is the one I would recommend to the woman who does not wear a lot of makeup, or for the girl with the naturally perfect long lash already. YSL's formula coats and separates your lashes amazingly well, but it is quite light so it offers a more natural daytime look. As many of you know, I go for a bit more drama .. in my mascara, that is ...

Speaking of drama, the cult-fave is Dior's Diorshow Mascara. Diorshow creates a glamorous, thickening, off the runway look. The brush is a bit fat for me and it tends to clump (on your lashes and in its container), which means when it is new it behaves quite well (especially for that sexy evening lash look), but it will need to get tossed rather quickly as the clump factor enters in. It goes for $24 at Sephora and because of its short shelf life, this one is more of an occasional treat and is less of a permanent fixture in my makeup bag.

Now if you are never in a million years going to spend $20+ on mascara then head to CVS or Duane Reade and pick up Loreal's Voluminous or Maybelline's Great Lash. You can purchase either, as well, on drugstore.com for about $5. I prefer Voluminous, who recently launched a carbon black version, which I am loving. It too can get a bit clumpy (it is a thicker lash mascara) and it does not last as long as my Chanel fave (in terms of shelf life), but it works well and does the trick.

Maybelline's Great Lash wins every award in the book, but the brush is too small for me and it does not offer me the definition or lash thickness, which I will always be in search of. I have girlfriends who swear by it though, especially the waterproof version, so give it a shot, who knows right?!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Its about time.